The LuxuryLite by Therm-A-Rest is a lightweight, packable camping cot made with the patented BowFrame design. This unique design eliminates both squeaky joints and painful crossbars, providing hikers and campers with a comfortable sleeping surface they can enjoy out under the stars. Most hikers can agree that the LuxuryLite is the perfect solution when pack weight is the biggest concern.
Overview and Features
The cot is made from a type of breathable mesh that’s designed to keep the camper cool during hot weather. The manufacturer claims that the mesh material can provide a more stable sleeping surface compared to an air mattress or camping pad.
The LuxuryLite provides a very different type of sleeping experience. While the cot’s surface features more give than a sleeping pad, the surface is also much firmer than an air mattress. The design helps to eliminate lower back pain and the type of common aches and pains that come with sleeping on the ground.
While the cot is perfect for use in warmer weather, during the winter months you may need to add a foam pad to prevent the loss of body heat. This cot doesn’t provide any type of back insulation like a camping pad will. While this makes the cot perfect for use in hotter climates, it will do little to protect you in colder weather. In extremely cold weather, a well-padded camping cot, such as the Chinook 29250 heavy-duty padded cot may be a better choice.
In terms of frame design, the cot includes a couple of aluminum poles that are shock-corded and fit tightly together to form the sides of the cot, eight two-piece bow frame bars, and one rectangular piece of polyester fabric ripstop material.
Set Up and Ease of Use
The LuxuryLite quickly breaks down into a lightweight compact package that you can easily attach to your pack, via the included carry bag.
For some campers, setting up the cot will be a simple process and one that can be completed in less than five minutes.
However, there have been some complaints that the cot’s bow shaped supports can be difficult to remove and put in, but after you assemble the cot a few times, putting it together and breaking it down it pretty simple.
Keep in mind that in a larger tent, the cot is simple to assemble, but in a single-person tent, it can be a frustrating process.
For some, the cot sits too low to the ground measuring in at four and a half inches tall. The cot’s height can make it difficult for some users to get on and off easily. Hikers weighing more than two hundred pounds may sink too low to the ground, however, their bodies will not make actual contact with the ground. This can further make it difficult to get on and off the cot.
Right out of the box the cot weighs just two pounds and twelve ounces. The cot has a user weight capacity of three hundred pounds and measures in at just twenty-four inches wide and six feet in length.
The cot also comes with eight plastic feet, but if you weigh significantly less than the max user weight, you can leave off some of the feet to keep your pack weight as low as possible. As an example, the manufacturer recommends that users weighing up to one hundred and eighty pounds leave off four of the feet, which will save almost twelve ounces of pack weight.
- The breathable material will keep the user cool in the summer
- Folds into a compact package
- Easy to set up and break down
- Comes with a free carry case
- The height of the cot makes it a poor choice for heavier users and people with disabilities or arthritis.
- Assembly can be difficult, especially if you use a single-person tent.
- The bows can be difficult to put in and remove until they’re broken in.
- Not recommended for one-person tents.
- The breathable sleeping surface can zap body heat in colder climates.
- BowFrame Technology: Cot's patented BowFrame design eliminates painful crossbars and squeaky joints
- Light & Packable: Extremely light, compact design fits easily in a pannier, portage bag or backpack
- Cool Fabric: Breathable mesh allows excellent ventilation in hot weather
- Durable Construction: Cot stands up to heavy use; stretch-free fabric, anodized aluminum poles and lightweight nylon feet
Last update on 2020-10-20 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API